It can be hard to be good when you’re having fun, out with your friends or on a hot date with a fancy drink in your hand. Maybe the most health-conscious thing to do about drinking would be to avoid it, but sometimes it seems like drinks are a bit of an accessory: if you don’t have one, you can feel out of place. So if you are going to partake, here are two tips to keep in mind.
- Avoid sugary, high alcohol drinks. Liquids are the quickest point of entry for nutrients to enter your system so it is important to watch what we are drinking, as well as how much. Sugar and alcohol are both very dehydrating – they introduce toxins as well as making it more difficult for your body to excrete toxins. It can be hard to avoid drinking alcohol entirely when we’re out and about, but by reducing the amount of sugar and alcohol we take in, we can minimize the damage. Keeping an eye on this also helps us to stay hydrated before it’s too late.
- Drink water. We all know to drink plenty of water. We see and hear the message everywhere, as water is essential to our being. But sometimes we forget when we’re out and about. However, it is especially important to take in water when drinking alcohol, due to alcohol’s dehydrating effects. Alcohol and dehydration bring along numerous side effects such as bloating, a decrease in metabolism, inflammation, an increase in appetite (which we work so hard to control), and it can also contribute to the appearance in cellulite. Prevent these effects by following each alcoholic drink with a glass or two of water.
A pretty drink is always recognized and often complimented. If you want to look stylish but you’re trying to pace yourself, here are a couple of pretty but healthy and non-alcoholic drink ideas you can request. Remember to tip your server!
Mocktails – Sophia’s Way
These creations are not only tasty, they’re also packed with antioxidants and are water based to hydrate your system and keep you going strong. Our focus here is to reduce the amount of sugar and alcohol intake into the body and to stay hydrated. All bars may not carry the ingredients shown below, but feel free to exchange or substitute where needed.
- Mulled mint, lime, raspberry, and cucumber over ice finished with soda/tonic water
- Mulled orange and raspberry over ice filled with soda/tonic water and garnished with a lemon twist
- Mulled blueberries, raspberries, and mint over ice topped with soda/tonic water and a squeeze of lime
- Mulled pineapple, orange, and raspberry over ice with a few sprigs of mint and finished with soda/tonic water
- Mulled mint, lime, and lemon over ice topped with soda/tonic water
Benefits of Listed Ingredients:
- Raspberry- Strengthens immune system, high nutritional value, high in antioxidants
- Blueberry- Packed with antioxidants, supports healthy vision
- Pineapple- A wealth of vitamins, rich source of soluble and insoluble fiber, anti-inflammatory
- Mint- Promotes healthy digestion, Improves oral health, stimulating
- Orange- Antioxidant support, aids in reduction of blood pressure
- Lemon- Blood purifier, cleansing to the stomach, strengthens immune system, detoxifying
- Lime- Rejuvenates skin, anti-inflammatory, high antioxidant content
Simply interchanging between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages can save you heavily in calories and toxins down the line.It’s not a huge sacrifice, it’s a manageable lifestyle choice. Have a Martini or your usual go-to concoction to start the night off, then try a lifting water blend to keep you feeling strong enough to keep playing. When you’re ready for your third drink, have another of your initial drink and finish the night with a fancy sparkling water.
Making this simple change to your going-out routine can also help you make wiser decisions throughout the night. Remember to wash your face before bed, set your alarm, and when you wake up – you’ll be doing so without a hangover.
I encourage you to enjoy these recipes in your own home and when you’re out. Have fun with them. Cheers!
Too Late for This Advice? Join Us For a Detoxing Body Wrap!
If you’re feeling heavy and lacking in energy, a good detox could be just the ticket for you. Venus Bodywork offers an array of body wraps which can help you sweat out heavy, unwanted toxins to get your system moving again. Our wraps are great for after a weekend of late nights or to clear your system and keep it in top shape. By eliminating excess toxins and water from our bodies you will feel lighter, have more energy, increase your blood flow, and have a beautiful glow to your skin
Venus Bodywork is currently offering a special price of $69 (compared to $129) for the first body wrap of your choice. Don’t miss out on this great offer to see what our rejuvenating wraps can do for you.